Friday, October 30, 2009

Almost winter

For a few brief moments I looked outside my family room windown this evening, and saw a sea of leaves scattered over the beds that I had so lovingly tended to this spring and summer. I don't think I will pluck the dead impatients from their beds but rather leave them alone to eventually become the dried earth under snow.

If felt strange to look at the bird bath that was frequently visited by birds and squirrels and to now see it vacant of visitors. But to see handfuls of leaves in its flower shaped stone bowl. Even the picnic table that David tiled this summer is buried under a mess of leaves.

I really dislike the winter. The stores are already filled with winter clothes, and Christmas merchandise. I wish I lived in a place where it was spring or summer constantly. I am not one who really appreciates or needs the change of seasons. Though I do enjoy the rites of spring. The first buds, the thawed earth. The first hint of green and new life. Summer is also a celebration of sun and warmth, and flowers, and herbs, and fruits and vegetables. And winter is time of slumber, only its short days make me feel as though I too should be hibernating..sleeping the days of winter away. And finally waking up in the spring.

No comments: